“Journey Into Dyslexia”

Academy and Emmy Award winning filmmakers Alan and Susan Raymond’s soon to be released documentary “Journey Into Dyslexia” premieres May 11th on HBO.

Here’s Ben Foss, one of the adults in the documentary, talking about it:

I don’t currently get HBO, but am thinking about ordering the DVD.

Would love to hear from anyone who catches this on HBO.

This entry was posted in Books and Videos, Discussion Topics. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to “Journey Into Dyslexia”

1. Pingback: LD Resources » Blog Archive » “Journey Into Dyslexia” | About Dyslexia

2. Jane Carroll says:

The film is excellent, however it tells the kids to ask for help…what happens when you ask for help and the school does not believe there is a problem?

• Sanford says:

Jane,
      Well, that sounds like a rhetorical question but I’m guessing it’s actually personal and important. If you believe there’s a problem, first thing you do is present them with evidence you have and ask for an evaluation.

Have you done that yet? Have they refused to do an evaluation or are you differing in what the testing means?

3. Jane,

You are your child’s advocate. If you think there is a problem, get the school to test him. If they don’t want to test (which is very likely), you can get outside help. There are many Orton-Gillingham reading instructors and programs across the country that can work with your child. In some cases you can even buy the materials and teach him yourself!

Check out this website for more information about Orton-Gillingham instruction- www.brightsolutions.us

This was a great film! I do, however worry that those who watch this film might get the wrong message.

It is definitely possible to be successful as a dyslexic without learning to read or write. However, MOST dyslexics end up falling through the cracks if they do not do anything about it.

Learning to read and write will increase their chances of success without taking away their creative gifts.

• Sanford says:

Rafael,
      Thanks for writing in. If the school won’t test the child, before you go out and get an Orton-Gillingham tutor, I’d first recommend having the child evaluated somehow. Orton-Gillingham is a great tool and approach, but it isn’t for everyone. I’m trained in it, train other people in it, but you first have to do some assessment to get the learning profile.

I’m curious (I haven’t seen the film yet), what in it makes you think some people would get the idea that there’s any suggestion of “not doing anything about it” ?

If folks want to get more info for Orton-Gillingham I’d go to, among other places, their website www.orton-gillingham.com Bright Solutions, the one you mention is for Susan Barton’s adaptation. I’ve had some homeschool parents take the Barton training and put it to pretty good use for their kids, but it’s modeled after O-G. Personally I find her videos really hard to watch/concentrate on. Maybe it’s just me.

4. John says:

I have seen throughout Dallas, Texas and many small towns attempt to ignore a dyslexia battery. This will force school district to train Certi academic Lang. Therapist and provide instruction.

I am proud to say that Texas is ahead of the game when it comes to Dyslexia. In 1982, Texas acknowlegded its impact on reading, normed reference testing and how to remediate for it. Since, there is no money backing up dyslexia like IDEA, many school have to put students under the 504 umbrella. 504 is about access no education.

In order to assist more students, states have to put in place legislation that will assist in its popularity in testing. Also, create feel guideline that will remediate this disability. Ex colored overlays! Balancing on a ball! These are not scientifically based.

John,
    Could you explain more about what you mean by your opening: “…many small towns attempt to ignore a dyslexia battery. This will force school district to train Certi academic Lang. Therapist and provide instruction” ?

I’m not sure what you’re saying. Your observation is that many towns “ignore a dyslexia battery” and that will force districts to train and provide instruction. Why do you think they will ignore the testing and then do the right thing by hiring and training “language therapist?” Curious.

Thanks for writing in.

6. Alan King says:

I saw the HBO Journey into Dyslexia and this is me. I’m 54 and my life was hell too. I live in a small town of 3000 or more and would like to spread the word out. I will buy 100’s of DVD if thats what it takes to help our kids and to educate our teachers on this mater, and i would like to THANK YOU VERRY MUCH, ALAN KING.

Hi Alan. thanks for writing in. That’s a fabulous offer to give back in that way. The documentary obviously struck a real chord.

How are things going for you these days?

8. Hi, there’s wow!I am a current adult living in the united states and i did not know much of this film, any ways sound’s like i need to understand my self more often?! I have been born with a rare symptom called: learning disabled all my life I’ve been dealt bad luck-
    chosen wrong people to surround my self with & so forth sometimes getting stuck often when i read and write things often i will make mysefl feel bad than it’ll take me about few hours tomove on.well honestly i think that a lot of people call me dumb,retarded it some times hurts me in a way i have real feeling’s too all my life i’ve been through so much up and downs & i’d like for this film to Remade re-done bring it to the forefront make it an important isue before others so than you guy’s, can get more coverage on learning Disiability and Disylexia (Adhd some what) too,as for myself I have had a lot of issues in my life ibut im very positive outlook on life i’vebeen through so much in the past few years too!

My name is Khang, I am 27 now’s I live with people who constantly

constantly barage me about look’s, look’s look’s but to me

I’ve never ever thought much about- the future sometimes

I have been going through my own emotional rollercoastrs it’s just

that no body knows how i really feel inside be/c i don’t show my

true feelings to somebody Unless i really really like them in a way

where its a bond so,strong you know?! that i cannot hold back tears

Khang,

Well, it may seem like your LD is rare. As it turns out there’s anywhere between 15%-20% of people with some form of a learning disability. Glad you found this website as it may help you find information and other connections. You should check out the Personal Stories here at LD Resources.

I agree with you or at least I hope you are saying that you need to find people to hang around with who don’t drag you down and insult you. They’ve got their own problems and you need people who can lift you up and be supportive.

I hope you stay in touch and let us know how things are going.

Remember, having a learning disability doesn’t keep you from accomplishments and learning.

10. squirrel says:

I saw it last night and it certainly makes you think. To me, it shows the story of the most severely dyslexic, and the ones whose right side of the brain is very developed. I am in agreement that some viewers may get the wrong point and generalize to all students with learning disabilities.
    With good teaching (and what is that?) most students can learn to read.
    But I agree that there are the few whom reading will always be painful for even with the tutoring, and well-intentioned adults.
    It really speaks to helping child find their strengths while you try to remediate. “Teach to the strength. REmediate the Weakness”. This is something I learned years ago. And then I suppose there would be a point when a decision is jointly made to work more to the strength. This is what the adults did on on their own when they could. I thought that it was interesting that they showed a second grader stumbling over hte ing/ank/onk phonemes. I have found that these are difficult and confusion and sometimes taught too early in the sequence. Other vowel phomemes are easier to learn. I have a nice classroom sequence that I would like to share – starting with the new Lively Letter cards. These are made to map into the right side of the brain.

Squirrel,
    “I am in agreement that some viewers may get the wrong point and generalize to all students with learning disabilities.”

Good point. That’s the challenge in generalizing to a whole group of people. I run into folks who have dyslexia who appear to have pretty average or even poor “right-brained” skills, like spatial or three-D reasoning.

I was speaking with some parents of a child I recently tested for dyslexia and I said that one of the benefits of handing of the remediaton to a relative expert like me, is that it can free them up to focus on helping their boy develop strengths and affinities.

What are Lively Letter cards?